A student voice.

The Communicator

Riot Fest 2017 Lineup Announced

Courtesy of Riotfest.org

The 2017 Riot Fest  lineup has been announced, and, as usual, Riot Fest knocked it out of the park. This fall weekend of punk and indie music was created as a multi-venue festival in Chicago in 2005. Since then, Riot Fest has found a permanent home in Douglas Park in Chicago as well as host festivals in Toronto and Denver.  

Riot Fest is known for bringing beloved punk bands back to life and has reunited groups ranging from The Misfits to The Replacements. This year, they got emo punk legends, Jawbreaker, to reunite for the first time in 21 years! Jawbreakers rejoiced all year, posting things all over social media. There is no news yet if Jawbreaker will continue to tour after Riot Fest, but hopes are high that they’ll stay together. The other two headliners are Nine Inch Nails and Queens of the Stone Age.

‘80s new wave heroes, New Order, are also making an appearance at the festival, falling just under the headliners. In their rank are also Prophets Of Rage, Paramore, and even a DJ set from legendary Beastie Boy, Mike D. Dinosaur JR and Ministry, notable 80s indie bands also made the bill.

The classic punk side of the bill isn’t likely to disappoint. From D.C. hardcore pioneers, Bad Brains, to Manchester post punkers, The Buzzcocks, to newbies, FIDLAR and Los Angeles natives X, these are just a few among the throng of amazing punk bands at this festival.

The bottom of the lineup also holds a ton of great groups. Chicago garage rockers, The Orwells, are sure to put on a great show. Beach Slang is also a great up and coming punk band that puts on energetic performances. One staple band that Riot Fest just couldn’t stand leaving out was of course, Gwar.

The final handful of bands set to play the festival will be released at a later date. View the full lineup here.