A student voice.

The Communicator

“Damage and Joy”

The Jesus and Mary Chain's First Album in 19 Years.

The Jesus and Mary Chain have always been the kings of cool, but their new LP, “Damage and Joy,” secures their seat on the throne. Released March 24. 2017, “Damage and Joy” was well worth the nearly 20 years of silence from the band following their 1998 release “Munki.” Brothers Jim and William Reid set aside their years of hostility to produce an amazing set of songs that show growth while ringing true to the classic Mary Chain noise pop.

This was the first time the duo worked with a real producer. The Reids agreed to hire Youth, best known as a member of the English post-punk band Killing Joke, to produce their album.
Much of the album was recorded in Youth’s home studio in Spain, with Youth providing bass on several tracks.

The album kicks off with it’s lead single “Amputation,” a burning lo-fi testament to the fact that the Jesus and Mary Chain will never fit in. “Try to win your interest back, but you ain’t having none of that / I’m a rock and roll amputation, I’m a rock and roll amputation.”

“Facing Up To The Facts” shines light on the strained relationship between the brothers.  “I hate my brother and he hates me, that’s the way it’s supposed to be.” The instrumentals on “Facing Up To The Facts” give listener the classic Mary Chain noise with a defined groove.

Several female vocalists made appearances on the album, most notably, Isobelle Campbell of Belle and Sebastian. Campbell appears on “Song for a Secret” and “The Two of Us.” “The Two Of Us” is my favorite song on the album. The verses feature vulnerable lyrics traded between Jim Reid and Campbell that are perfectly matched with soft instrumentals. “I met a girl, she was crazy about me, and in a lifetime this happens once or twice maybe / I met a boy, he was crazy about me, and all my friends say he is the other half of me.” The verse then builds into an explosive and undeniably catchy chorus “the two of us are getting high, we don’t need drugs just the two of us.”

The Reid’s sister Linda, better known as Sister Vanilla, Sky Ferreira, and Bernadette Denning also made guest appearances on the album. Former Fountains of Wayne member Brian Young provided drums for the album.

“Damage and Joy” was a supremely solid comeback album. It left me satisfied and excited for the next one! The Jesus and Mary Chain have been touring Europe and are playing a few shows later in the year.