A student voice.

The Communicator

Pi Day 2017

Sophomore Francisco Fiori writes down some facts about pi. Markers were offered alongside the pies for students and staff to write down their favorite things about pi or pi day. “I love that the angles of a triangle add up to pi,” Craig Levin said. “What a weird thing that happens… I kind of discovered that later on than you would think. Something I should have known.”

Hawa Dicko raves about the Girl Scouts ‘Samoa’ cookie pictured. Pies could be bought that morning from stores like Kroger or baked with love the night before.

“One at a time, one at a time,” math teacher Craig Levin said at 11:09 a.m. on March 14. “What kind of pie do you want?” Despite being six minutes prior to fourth block ending and lunch starting, the line for Community’s Pi Day festivities had already begun to wrap around the second floor hallways.

Several tables were full of homemade and store-bought pies, with types ranging from the classic apple and berry pies to savory quiches and even pizza pies. In order to add motivation to bring in all these pies, 3.14 points of extra credit were offered by math teachers at Community.

Freshman Sylvia Gabriel had her first encounter with Community’s celebration of Pi Day this year. “There’s free pie!” said Gabriel, who had brought in homemade pecan pie for the function. “I would say [pie] is my favorite dessert.”

Older students like junior Hawa Dicko seemed just as excited about the variety of pies as newcomers like Gabriel. Dicko exclaimed about their favorite pies while waiting in line-her favorite pie is pecan pie. “Anything with whipped cream, really,” Dicko said. However, Dicko was also intrigued by other pies, mostly one pie that was shaped like a Girl Scouts ‘Samoa’ cookie.

Although the Pi Day celebration at Community is a unique tradition, Pi Day is celebrated all around the world on March 14. This date resembles the first three digits of pi (3.14), a constant, irrational and transcendental number is derived from the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter.

“I think that being the only international, worldwide holiday that is a math holiday, is really kind of special,” Levin said. “It’s great that we can all think about the number pi for a minute and see how even while we’re eating pie we can just think: ‘Hey, people have been talking about this number as long as there have been people talking about numbers.’”